About Our Founder
Dana Denis-Smith founded Obelisk Support in 2010
…in order to transform the traditional working patterns of the legal profession. She recognised an opportunity: to provide flexible legal solutions by harnessing the skills of talented lawyers who need to work remotely or around new life commitments.
Obelisk has grown rapidly, fuelled by Dana’s understanding of both the world of law and entrepreneurship. In 2018, the company was listed as one of the fastest-growing businesses in Europe by the Financial Times and has since won many awards. Dana’s drive to support women in all stages of their career has been matched by an industry need for flexibility and agility.
In 2014, Dana founded The First 100 Years, a national charitable campaign to celebrate the first 100 years of women in the legal profession in the UK and Ireland. In 2020, this was replaced by Next 100 Years, which focuses on the future of the profession for women. Dana has spent more than 10,000 hours of her time on the campaign, which aims to achieve equality for women in law.
Dana is a TEDx speaker and regularly speaks at industry events and in the media on gender equality in the legal profession. In recognition of her achievements, she was elected to The Law Society Council representing women. In 2022 she was awarded her second honorary Doctorate in Law from the University of Glasgow.
The Founding Principle
Obelisk Support is founded on and continues to honour the principle of human first. We create opportunities for professionals to flourish by delivering flexible legal services powered by a community of legal professionals who want to work differently. We set ourselves apart through our commitment to putting people first and focusing on what our clients and consultants really need to succeed – which is why 90% of our clients come back to us again and again.
CEO, Obelisk Support
Dana’s award wins
- Dana was elected as a Council representative for the Law Society Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee in 2023
- Elected to the Law Society Council representing Women in 2022
- Special commendation as an “Innovative Leader” for the Financial Times Innovative Lawyer Europe Awards, 2022
- The Special Contribution Award at the Women in Law Awards 2020
- The Legal500 Award for Outstanding Achievement in Legal Services in 2019
- Lexis Legal Personality of the Year 2018
- One of The Times Top 50 employers for women in 2015 & 2016
- A finalist for the Aphrodite Award in the Natwest Everywoman Awards 2016
- Named as the legal sector’s ‘Outstanding Innovator’ at the Legal Week Legal Innovation Awards 2015
Photo by Rosie Parsons Photography
Dana’s talks and panels
- Judge for inaugural Global Legal Post Women and Diversity in Law 2023 awards and Modern Law awards 2023
- Guest panellist “All change: Law firm culture disruption” at the London Law Expo 2022
- Guest speaker “The future of work in the legal industry” at the Managing Partners Forum 2022
- “Attracting Talent in a disrupted landscape” at the Entrepreneurs Network
- Advisory Board member for Briefing Live 2022
- Speaker at the inaugural LawCare conference
- Presenter at American Bar Association on White Collar Crime
- Invited to give the valedictory speech for outgoing Law Society E&W President I.Stephanie Boyce at the inauguration of the new President
- Special guest at Law Standards Board Conference on Diversity and the Law
As Seen In
Dana is a regular contributor to Artificial Lawyer, The Law Society Gazette, The Times, and has featured in numerous articles and publications. Find pieces and podcasts featuring Dana: